WE KNOW OUR HISTORY
The History of the Ocean Shores Country Club, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2022, has been divided into chronological segments that can now be accessed on the Club’s website. All segments feature details of annual general meetings and office bearers.
Histroy at ocean shores
AN INTRODUCTION TO THE HISTORY OF THE OCEAN SHORES COUNTRY CLUB
OCEAN SHORES COUNTRY CLUB: THE EARLY DAYS
This first segment refers to the very early days when the Club was a concept within the planned development of the Ocean Shores Estate, a project conceived by USA investors which included American entertainer, Pat Boone.
- References to the source of all the information accessed in preparing the History
- Details about the Heritage Committee and the people who cooperated in documenting the history
- A background to the Byron Shire and its involvement
- Details about the original plans for the Ocean Shores Estate
- A summary of the chronological development of the Estate, the clubhouse and the golf course
This segment covers:
- People involved with Wendell West and in planning the Estate in the 1960s
- A profile of the proposed Estate development, including several clippings highlighting Pat Boone’s involvement
- Several photos showing the Estate and the Golf Course under construction
- A copy of the first edition of the Sea Horse magazine in June 1969
- Information about the first golf course architect appointed, Bob Green
- An oral history recorded by Bob Baxter, who originally worked in sales with Wendell West in both Melbourne and Ocean Shores, where he has been a member since 1980
Current Board of Directors
Explore our club board of directors from Club directors, to men’s and ladies golf directos and men’s and ladies bowls directors.